Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vocational Assessment (VA) at Hendon Camp morning.

It's a super long and tiring journey to the Hendon Camp. Have to wake up at 4.30am to walk to Boon Lay MRT Station. Then have to take MRT all the way from Boon Lay MRT to Tampines MRT. Then have to take a 30 minute bus ride to reach the camp.Reach the camp at 7.45am like that,with the help from a fellow MJC guy called Bing Min and the help of the bus driver.


Then have to put our handphones into lockers because of the terrorism thing,and we were divided into details.(A detail is just a group of 10-12 boys.) I was in Detail 5.Bing Min was in my detail too. My Detail IC was named Nigerl. We were being lead into the hall where we need to wait for an hour because of adminstrative matters. And that was where most of the guys fell asleep. Being the friendly and chatty guy I was, I immediately seize this opportunity to get my detail mates.(Who knows,I may be bunking in with them next year.)I got to know David from CJC,Bing Min from MJC,and others,so we first went for medical checkup. The doctor just asked us some questions and then it was ok already.


Then next came the physical test. We were supposed to do Standing Board Jump(SBJ),Sit ups, Push ups and Chin ups. First it was SBJ. Not very good la. Only 216cm. Then it's sit ups in one minute.Ok la. Not bad,did 47.Then push ups in one minute.Also ok la,did 37. Then Chin ups. Everyone was like hands pain already after doing Push ups already then now need to do Chin ups.Everyone was like stretching their arms. OK la.Everyone in my detail did 2-7. I did 12.Hahas. I'm not flattering myself.


Then it was some exercise that requires one to balance,to have flexibility,to have agility,and endurance.Everything was ok la.Then it's time for lunch.I think that my detail was the only detail who ate together because we took the long bench of the canteen,and the others took the tables which can only occupy 4-5 people per table.


After lunch,we had our interview. All the majors and the Lieutenant were there to assess us and to persuade us to join the commando. One by one,we were called and we would go to the Major or the Lieutenant who called us. The Major asked me a few question,and he said,"Wow,I'm amazed.You can do 12 Chin ups in one minute." I was like,"Ya." Then he asked me another few questions,taught me how to train for my SBJ,and then told me to go back and wait for the letter. He told me that he don't know if I can get in,but the chances are quite high.


Then came the Psychological test,whereby we need to fill in lots and lots of surveys(not really alot la.Only 3.) But one survey had 150 questions,another had75 questions and the other one had 185 questions. We do until like Siao! Sitting down there for 3-4 hours doing what?Survey after survey!Tiring,but must do.One survey is to test your IQ,another is to test how we deal with stress and the next one is just to test our personality.Super exhausted. I think I'm more tired from doing those surveys than doing the physical test.


After the physical test,we had to go back to the hall whereby we need to fill in our particulars and then can go back already.Nigerl told me that if he didn't see wrongly,he think that my name was in the list that said that I am suitable to be a commando.Don't know about that. He also told me that if I received a letter which is purple in colour and telling me to go to Pasir Ris Camp to report,I'm on my way to becoming a commando.So if the next time you see me blogging that I received a purple letter telling me to go to Pasir Ris camp to report,then I won't stop you from calling me Commando. Hahas. For Honour and Glory!!!

No comments: